10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Liverpool Football Club
Liverpool FC was founded in 1892 and has played every home game since at their legendary ground Anfield. But how much do you really know about Liverpool Football Club?Liverpool FC competes in the top tier of English football; the Premier League and plays across the globe thanks to its many supporter’s clubs. Most recently winning the European Cup in 2019, the club holds the English record for the most won at a total of six. Liverpool FC rose to dominance in the 1970s and 80s thanks to legends including Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley and Kenny Dalglish. Shop the Liverpool Legends T Shirt collection here!
Top 10 Liverpool Football Club Facts
1. The first LFC team was made entirely of Scottish players. Liverpool Football Club’s first match was a friendly held on 1st of September 1892 and played against Rotherham Town ending in a 7-1 win to LFC.
2. Anfield was originally home to rivals Everton. Anfield now has a capacity of over 53,000 but it was originally used by long-standing rivals Everton. It wasn’t until a dispute with Anfield owner John Houlding about rent that the Toffees moved to Goodison Park.
3. Liverpool FC were on the first ever episode of Match of the Day. Match of the Day was the first regular football programme on television and it first broadcast on the 22nd of August 1964. Nearly an hour of Liverpool V Arsenal highlights were shown in which LFC won 3-2.
4. Liverpool FC players were banned for match-fixing in 1915. The 1915 British football match-fixing scandal was fixed in favour of Manchester United with players from both teams set to benefit from bets placed. Seven players were eventually found to have participated and all were banned for life. However, most players later had their bans overturned.
5. The famous This Is Anfield sign was introduced by Bill Shankly. The idea for a sign came from a groundsman who wanted to welcome players to Anfield but Shankly saw it as an opportunity to intimidate opponents. Bill said, “This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against.”
6. Steven Gerrard holds the record for scoring in sixteen consecutive seasons. In the 2014-15 season, Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard scored in his 16th consecutive season for the club beating a record held by Billy Liddell since 1960.
7. LFC are the only club to contest a major final in every country of mainland Britain. Liverpool have played matches in Glasgow, Cardiff and London.
8. In 5,858 competitive matches, LFC players have scored 10,219 goals. The Merseyside team are also the most successful British club in international football with 14 trophies.
9. Ian Callaghan holds the record for most appearances made for LFC. Callaghan was a midfielder between 1959-1978 and made a total of 640 appearances for the club.
10. As of 2021, LFC was the world's fifth-most-valuable football club. Liverpool Football Club has been owned by Fenway Sports Group – owners of the MLB team Boston Red Sox - since October 2010.
Do you love the game?
Many play the game, but few rise from obscurity to become Merseyside legends; status forged in sporting moments and relived for a lifetime by supporters. Designed by LFC fans in the UK to show their love of the game, our Liverpool collection follows Anfield legends across the globe charting their careers by celebrating the cities they played in.
Shop the Liverpool Legends collection now!